Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday Fiesta!

The menu this year is Smoked Pulled Pork Sliders; Chicken and Black Bean Chili; Guacamole; and for the sweet tooth: brownies and cookies...

~ ~
'
              
And Lorraine's Fiesta Cheese Loaf
(recipe below)



A room divided....half cheering for the Steelers and half cheering for the Packers!  Who will I sit with today?!

First of all ...



I love the state of Wisconsin!



Not only do some of our dearest friends reside in the beautiful state of Wisconsin, but some of the most precious memories we carry with us were made in the picturesque surroundings of Door County!



  
old pic...taken before the turn of the century!

with hiking, cycling and mo-ped riding through
Peninsula State Park ...                    

Boat rides and glorious romantic sunset cruises on Lake Michigan;

Wisconsin's Peninsula State Park Players and their amazing outdoor theatre performances under the stars...
Oh, and yes...
The best outdoor
drive-in movie theater
which brings back memories of my
very early childhood where,
for some reason,
whenever we go, I do exactly what I did
as a little girl...fall asleep halfway through
the movie!  I guess it just brings a sense of comfort which comes from the simple pleasures in life, allowing me to relax like nothing else!  So, I hang on to these...


Treasured memories...captured in a photo and in my heart!


-------------------------


I probably should have ended with this beautiful memory.


---------



I got so carried away reminiscing, I almost forgot about game day!




---------



Now I digress..........and I admit.........



Regardless of my affection for Wisconsin an all that comes with it...I will have to offer a polite apology to my dear friends of this great state, because on Super Bowl Sunday, I just can't bring myself to cheer for the Packers.  No offense, dear friends...but we are Bears fans on this side of the state line!  Plus, being a "fashionista" of sorts, there is just... something...visually incorrect...about the color of those uniforms... green and gold???!!! ... well, it just kind of resembles ...mold on cheese!  Oh, please forgive me...you know I love you all!  Please don't banish me from future visits to your amazing state and wondrous lake shore! 


If I can redeem myself, I will be honest...when it comes to football, I like the excitement of the game, but I'm mostly there for the party. I don't even scream and shout...I like using the plastic hands we place on the table which make a loud clapping sound! I can pick them up with one hand and make some noise while keeping my other hand free for eating!  I'm not even sure I'll get "into" the half-time performance this year, but with the amount of people and conversations taking place, it's difficult to hear much of the performance anyway.  So, I'll be hanging out with those who are also filling their plates with second helpings! 

Yes, smoked pulled pork sliders; chicken and black bean chili; guacamole; and...

My contribution to this year's southwest style menu... my fiesta cheese loaf. 

(I came up with this recipe during a recipe contest.  It is actually adapted from a similar recipe which a friend introduced me to called "Tony's provolone loaf" (consisting of layers of provolone, cream cheese w/ garlic and pesto, and assembled in a loaf pan). I loved it so much, I decided to invent a southwest version and this is what I came up with):




This Mexican Inspired Cheese Loaf is always a hit at parties, with it's beautiful presentation and zesty blend of flavors!

FIESTA CHEESE LOAF (with cilantro pesto)

2 eight oz. Pkg. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
4 cloves garlic
1-2 dash finely ground black pepper to taste
2 eight oz. pkg. pepper jack cheese slices
1 2 oz. jar diced pimentos (drained well)
1 4 oz. can fire roasted diced green chiles (drained well)
2 cups fresh cilantro
¼ cup olive oil (approx.)
½ tsp. fresh lime juice
½ cup walnut halves or pieces
1 -2 pinches sea salt
1 ripe avocado

For Cilantro Pesto:
Place cilantro into food processor and process until finely chopped (just a few seconds)
Add 2 cloves garlic and while processing, stream in olive oil; squeeze in fresh lime juice;
Add a pinch or two of sea salt and a pinch of black pepper; add walnuts and process just until mixture forms a paste. Set aside.
For Cream Cheese Mixture:
Combine 2 eight oz. pkg. cream cheese with 2 garlic cloves (pressed or crushed);
Add pepper to taste.

For Assembly:
Dampen a piece of cheese cloth and place in 8 oz. loaf pan allowing cloth to drape over the sides of pan;
Start the layering with approx. 8 squares of pepper jack (on the diagonal);
Add 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture; 1/3 pesto; ½ jar of pimentos; layer of pepper jack.
Another 1/3 of the cream cheese; entire can of green chiles; 1/3 pesto; layer of pepper jack; last layer of cream cheese; last layer of pesto; last layer of pepper jack.
Bring sides of cheese cloth up and over to cover the loaf.
Refrigerate ( for at least 1 hr. and up to 24 hrs). Slowly invert onto platter and remove cheese cloth.

Garnish with fresh cilantro and remaining pimentos;
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or fresh vegi’s. Enjoy!!!

***
A couple of tips:
If you don’t have cheese cloth, you can line the pan with waxed paper (tape the excess to the outside of pan to avoid slipping.)
- - - - - - - -
This can also be made earlier in the day or the evening before your party and chilled overnight.


 

----------

IT'S GAME TIME....
AND FOR ME....THAT MEANS....
IT'S TIME FOR SOME GREAT FOOD!

ENJOY!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to have to unfollow you if you said that you were going for the Pack. That would be just wrong. Your loaf looks fantastic. Lucky friends!

A Joyful Chaos said...

The food is the best part of the game, especially last night. Being a very loyal Steelers fan it was nothing short of painful.

mangiabella said...

LOL, yet another reason why I adore you Christiane! haha. What a cool appetizer Lorraine, you know I'm loving the green chile :) sounds like an awesome game day menu all around! You totally cracked me up with your Wisconsin rationale, you fashionista you haha! I'm with ya totally! But was indeed an entertaining evening, and much props to GB and Rogers for their winning performance and alot of heart!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I spend a lot of time in Wisconsin growing up in Illinois. I am a bears fan but I went ahead and cheered for Green Bay. I am not a fan of football. Super Bowl I am there for the food and the commercials.

Sierra said...

i hope you had a fun time! those appetizers look great. i'm not a fan of football but recently learned a bit through my dad, which was fun.

Unknown said...

Oh Lorraine.. What beautiful pictures !!!!!
I am not a foot ball fan..and my husband was not home to watch it,,(driving back to Daytona Beach) where his new job is..so I did not watch it, but I did record it for him and so I could see the commercials..lol My daughter had a big super bowl party at her house with lots of cheese head,,that is where her husband is from..
you festivitys looked awesome too..
thanks for sharing..

Joanne said...

Great post and the food sounds Yummy! Blessings, Joanne

Deborah Ann said...

That dinner looks fabulous!

But now I'm gonna have to give you some...ah, crap. You must be the famous "Illa-nuisances" that us Wisconsiners up nort always complain about. Do we really have to share our beloved Door County with you? Hehehh...ribbing aside, I am quite impressed by your accomplishments. And hey, if you have any TV strings you could pull, I'm looking for somewhere to plant my reality TV show idea...

Blessings!

(GO PACK!)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I have never been to Wisconsin...it looks beautiful...and drive-in-movie..how fun! Well from the state that brought you the Super Bowl it looks like you had some great food and a fun time!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my... not only pretty Wisconsin but this dish... I'm mesmerized :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...