Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Patriotic Pie!

Here's a Pie to Salute...
This Pie gets Five Stars!!!!!
find out more below...

Patriotic Pie:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr. 30 minutes
Servings: approximately 8 (but not in my house) Did I mention I LOVE PIE?!!!
**you will need a 9 in. pie plate; a six in. square of clean cardboard or poster board;
A small star-shaped cookie cutter; and the following ingredients: *


For Pie Dough:
2 & 1/2 C. Flour
1/4 - 1/2 C. Ice Water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar2 sticks "cold" unsalted butter
For Filling:3 (20 oz.) Cans Cherry Pie Filling
2 & 1/2 - 3 cups Blueberries, 2 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. vanilla; 1/3 cup + 2 TBSP. sugar; 1/8 cup cornstarch; 1/4 tsp. cinnamon; 1 TBSP chilled unsalted butter cut into small pieces. [Combine sugar; cornstarch & cinnamon & mix until blended. Gently toss blueberries with lemon and vanilla, and then gently stir into the cornstarch mixture until coated. Set aside. The butter will be used to dot on top of blues just before baking]. ***

***(If you prefer, you can use one can of blueberry pie filling in place of the fresh blueberries and eliminate this step). I just love fresh blueberries in season, so I go the fresh route when possible...each will be equally delish! ***

For Egg Wash:One egg slightly beaten w/1 TBSP. water

For the Finishing Touch:4 TBSP. Sanding Sugar


Ready to roll-----the dough:
This Pie Crust Recipe is my favorite…I usually make plenty ahead and freeze…It keeps for at least a month in the freezer! Will also keep nicely for at least 3 days in the fridge!In food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt; pulse while adding butter and process approx. 10 seconds or just until it becomes crumbly (like course meal). Add ice water w/ processor running just until dough holds together. Do not over process…we don’t want sticky dough…however, if it seems dry, add a bit more water, a little at a time. Gather dough into ball and divide in half. Press each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (once again-- it’s nice to make ahead and leave in fridge).

Once dough is chilled, roll out one disk on floured surface into
A 12 in. circle. Press into Pie Plate & up, allowing dough to hang over sides. Roll out second disk into a 10 in. circle and cut into five ½ inch strips. With star-shaped cookie cutter, cut 5 stars from remaining pastry. We’ll come back to these stars and stripes in a moment…Preheat the oven to 425
Now our arts and crafts come in:
Fold the clean 6 inch square of cardboard in half into a wedge.
In upper left corner of pie, stand wedge so that the wide opening is facing the outside side of pie pan and with the point at center of pie.

Fill inside of this wedge with our prepared blueberry filling.
Spoon the Cherry filling into remaining large section of pie crust.
Slowly & carefully remove the cardboard.


Now, with our stars and stripes: starting approx. ½ in from bottom of pie, gently and evenly place 3 strips of dough over cherry filling. Cut remaining 2 strips to fit the top right section. Press all ends into crust. Fold overhanging crust up and over and crimp. Brush rim and stars & stripes with egg wash and sprinkle w/ sanding sugar. Place the five stars in the upper left corner.

Bake 30 minutes at 425. Reduce Heat to 350 and continue baking until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Hand Over Heart…Salute…Slice!
Top with favorite ice ream or whipped cream (optional)
Eat Pie & Enjoy! (mandatory) !

GOD BLESS AMERICA !
Remembering Freedom!



(*my friend originally made this pie with strawberries from her garden last summer. It was delish! I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but when she showed me the picture of this pie, I just had to make it, although I tweaked it quite a bit, using fresh berries and my home-made crust which is the my all time favorite! )


10 comments:

Lauren said...

That is the cutest pie! I love it! and it has my two favorite flavors of pie. that is really cool Lorraine. great job, great poems.

A multi-dimensional life said...

Thanks, girlfriend! :) I hope you have a great holiday! Looking forward to seeing what's next! :)

mangiabella said...

This pie is ADOREable and SO creative!!!! i just want to eat a slice RIGHT NOW!!!

A multi-dimensional life said...

Wish you were here to have a slice and a cup of coffee! :)

Lauren said...

Hey Lorraine, I gave you the sunshine award, swing by the blog to pick it up. I also wrote a blurp about you and a link to this recipe...yum!

A multi-dimensional life said...

Lauren,you are so sweet! You ARE sunshine :)
Thank you so much! I've posted the sunshine award to my blog and I'll be passing it along to others as well. I am so thankful for your friendship! Have a wonderful holiday week-end and I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :) xoxoxo

Chef Dennis Littley said...

hi Lorraine,
what a beautiful patriotic pie!! Thanks so much for stopping by my sight!!
I am always looking for an easy good pie dough, thanks so much for sharing your great post with us!! Stop by tomorrow for my 4th of July contribution!
all the best
Dennis

A multi-dimensional life said...

Thanks Dennis! I'm so glad you stopped by!
I'll be checking in to see your 4th of July contribution! Thanks for your encouragement!
I hope you have a wonderful Independence Day!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I hope I have time to make this over the weekend...LOVE the idea...I may try with raspberries and blueberries :) THANK YOU!

Barb Thorson said...

Reading your blog is such fun. I remember seeing you make your chicken pasta dish with Joey Fatone on LWN some time ago. Patriotic pie sounds great. Thanks. BARB T.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...