Sunday, April 10, 2011

LOOKING BACK AT ME



April is National Poetry Month


 
 Not only was it a thrill to hear that my poem,

"Looking Back at Me"

was awarded first place in the Highland Park poetry challenge, but also to hear that during the month of April, it would be displayed in the storefront of a
super cool new boutique...

"So Shee"

Last friday, April fool's day, I was invited to join the other winners in reading my poem for the poetry reading group. After confirming that this was not an April fool's joke, I humbly accepted the honor and privately danced like nobody could see! 


We then had an open mic in which all participants could share up to six of their poems with the crowd.  Jennifer Dotson organizes this wonderful group of poets. She is an award winning poet and an amazingly talented writer.  It has been an honor and a delight to get to know her as well as the other accomplished writers! 

Here I am with Michelle Burden 
in front of her fabulous boutique,
So Shee 


And here is my poem
displayed in Michelle's storefront...



There was even greater meaning to this entire experience,

as this poem was inspired by an actual conversation I had with my brother. After we said goodbye, I immediately sat down and wrote this poem.


When I saw "Looking Back At Me" in Michelle's window, there was just enough of a reflection from the sun to cause quite a bit of interference with the photos....but,


 the reflection was a gift ...


because at that moment, I stood reading my poem

 with my own reflection looking back at me...

and once again I saw my mom!
 

I thought about the impact that my parents made on my brother and I and I quietly said,


mom...dad...this is for you!


I was blessed big time!!!


May we all reflect on the memories we hold dear and cherish the many ways they speak to our deepest hearts!



Happy National Poetry Month!












 

17 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh Lorraine! How lovely your poem is and what a sweet story. Congratulations on your win. It's no wonder that you won with words that come so deep from the heart. I love it!

Annie Oakley's Kitchen said...

Congratulations, and what a beautiful and sentimental poem!

Summer said...

GOD has definitely given great ability to place your words and feeling on paper ....We need to use our GOD given talents to give Him the GLORY HE deserves and whatever our day holds we PRAISE HIS NAME ....What a beautiful site is and what a beautiful person you are ....Have a great day and keep writing .

mangiabella said...

You have such an uncanny ability to take me INSIDE the poems you write - I feel like I am on the phone with you and your brother, or peeking over your shoulder in the mirror - you sweep me away with your words time after time - this is so worthy of its recognition....congratulations sweet bella, rejoicing with you!!!

Toyin O. said...

Wow Lorraine, that is such an amazing poem, you are so talented!!! This is like your hundreth award this year:)You should be so proud of yourself, you certainly deserve all these accolades. That is also a gorgeous picture of you; you look great! xoxo

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Congratulations! What beautiful words...I'm in awe of your talent~

Lisa said...

What a beautiful poem! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog.

A multi-dimensional life said...

You are all so sweet to encourage me! Thank you!

Once again it was a God thing...showing me that even though my parents are gone, I can still honor them and I really felt their memory come alive in that reflection in the window! It was a powerful moment.

spcookiequeen said...

Hi Lorraine, you are blessed indeed. Any time you are present and able to observe what is going on around you it's a gift.

So glad I found you again. I will be thinking about this poem all day, it's a message I really do hear.

Thank you for the sweet anniversary wishes. Hope you have a wonderful day.
-Gina-

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

How awesome and congratulations! What an awesome gift and how honoring to your parents...they are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lorraine ! You should be proud. That is quite an honor :-)

Take care and have a great weekend :-)

~Ron
*******

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh the whole concerts theme spoke to me about light. Did you get to see the video? It has stayed with me all week. Natalie Grant sang her song "I Will Be"...look up the lyrics if you get a chance. My son has been singing "this little light of mine" in connection to the songs that were sung that night.
When we allow His light to shine through us than everyone sees His light in their darkness, and we all have darkest hours.

Thanks for stopping by, just had to comment on your comment.

Blessings and continue to shine your light!!

A multi-dimensional life said...

Janette, Yes, I saw the video...It brought tears to my eyes! Amy Grant's lyrics are wonderful..I especially love the line, "I will be your rock when every candle burns down low".
Thanks for sharing that and shining His light through you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your poem is wonderful and I know exactly how you feel. I often see my mom in the mirror. Congratulations having it on display.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A reflection that will on through you and into the lives of others who cross your path. We live a generational witness to all who know us. We are the sum total of so many life experiences and people who filter in and out of our lives, leaving their lasting impressions.

So glad for the acknowledgment of your beautiful words; a well-deserved honor.

peace~elaine

Bob West said...

Hello Lorraine:

I believe the reason you won is that your words are reflecting this truth:

"For Christ’s love controls us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. 2 Cor. 5:14-16

God Bless you, Bob

Deborah Ann said...

WOW! Congrats! What an honor. God's favor is surely upon you, Lorraine. God has bestowed so many gifts upon you...it's crazy!

I had this dream for some time...to plan a poetry reading night here in Manitowoc. An open-mic poetry night. If God ever brings it to pass...you will most definitely be invited to come and share...I adore poetry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...