Thursday, February 3, 2011

And Chicken Noodle with Popovers!


With single digit temps and roaring winds whipping blizzard snow into drifts several feet high outside my door, it seems the best solution is to snuggle inside with a steaming hot bowl of soup.



Today...

Chicken Noodle...

another one of our favorites...

Along with Piping Hot Popovers

fresh out of the oven!






 Chicken noodle soup...
food for the soul,
fills my tummy, tastes so yummy,
think I'll have a second bowl :)


!

This soup is another quick and easy recipe and it is my favorite chicken soup recipe.  I decided that I would use a rotisserie chicken.  Costco sells a great organic, gluten free rotisserie chicken, cooked and ready to eat and the price is right! 

Here's the recipe:

In a large soup pot, in approx. 3 TBSP. olive oil,
One small onion (chopped);
3-4 cloves garlic(minced or pressed);
4 stalks of celery (chopped);
2 large carrots (sliced in rounds);
Saute just until the onions appear slightly translucent.  Then add a splash of white wine to remove bits from bottom of pan;
to this, add approx. 1 tsp. dried oregano;
2 tsp. poultry seasoning;
1/2 tsp. dried sweet basil; 
1/2 tsp. black pepper;
then pour in one large container (48 oz.) low sodium all natural organic chicken broth; 
place the entire chicken into the broth (making sure to remove trussing strings first);
add about a cup of water (or a bit more if needed...just enough to cover the chicken. (you can add more broth instead of water if desired)
Finally, add two sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces); 
then cover pot and simmer for about 20 minutes. This will allow for great flavor. * (remember the secret is in the cracker ~ or in this case, the spoon - I always taste as I go, adding more of the seasonings if needed) 

After about 20 minutes, turn off heat, remove chicken to platter then discard bones and skin, returning only the meat back to the stock. 
Over medium heat, bring stock to a slight boil, then add approx. half of a 12 oz. pkg. "no yolk" egg noodles. 
Reduce heat to low and simmer until noodles are tender


Ladle hot chicken soup for the soul into cup or bowl ~

My husband loves to sprinkle a bit of parmesan on top...and I love this with warm sourdough or asiago bread, but today I made popovers...





Simple but so good Popovers:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Lightly grease and flour popover tins (or muffin tins)

Ingredients:
1 TBSP. Unsalted Butter, melted
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk 

  • Combine flour with salt in a large bowl and in a separate bowl, whisk eggs with butter and milk...then fold into flour mixture until just blended (careful not to over mix).  Pour into tins (about 3/4 filled)
  • Bake for 15 minutes....then reduce heat to 350 degrees for an additional 20 minutes or until they puff up and turn a nice golden brown.  Remove from oven and pop them out onto a rack or platter.  Using a small, sharp knife, make a small slit in the side of each so that the steam escapes, and serve!   Best when eaten immediately.


Baby it's cold outside....but no-one will know....serve up some hot chicken soup...forget about snow!



11 comments:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Now that looks great and we have been freezing...I need to put on a pot tomorrow...and those popovers will be devoured...stay warm...we have more coming here

Unknown said...

Both the soup and the pop overs are beautiful. I love chicken noodle soup when it's cold and while I can't say we've dipped into single digits, it's definitely chilly for the south.

I'm glad to see that you fared well in the last storm. I actually got to see a few pictures of WCCC through folks that work there and are on Facebook this morning and some of the drifts were pretty high. It's been fun sharing the weather through the 'net but not being in it!

mangiabella said...

oh Lorraine this is warming my soul all the way over here!!!! Loving the white wine and sweet potato addition - I WILL MAKE THIS IN HONOR OF YOU SWEET BELLA!!! and those popovers....sigh....they look so light and simply delicious - what a perfect combo!!! If I only had all of the ingredients I needed NOW to make that soup (I'm shy the white wine and rotisserie...oh, and the egg noodles LOL) but I will let you know when I make it!!! HUGS!!!!

Sierra said...

that bread and soup looks so good, when i'm in Utah my parents make the same meal and even when i'm in CA i like to make something similar. hope you are staying warm!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for the recipes. The soup and popovers look delicious! Sounds perfect for the cold weather.

Monet said...

Chicken soup and popovers makes these cold winter days worth it! I don't think I could ever go back to eating canned chicken noodle soup after trying yours! It looks hearty, flavorful and comforting. And I love popovers. They are so simple yet so delicious. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. May your Sunday be one of peace and love.

Simple Home said...

I love homemade chicken noodle soup. Yours sounds delicious.
Wow, you've had a lot of snow!
Stay warm this weekend :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Annie said...

Oh yum! This sounds so delicious and easy. I love your method for making chicken stock. So easy.

Unknown said...

Oh my friend that looks yummy....
I am always searching for a gooooood chicken noodle soup.. so many of them lack flavor,but yours looks awesome.. thanks for sharing..

Unknown said...

Congrats, Lorraine! Your stress was felt by the random number generator and you won the giveaway. The chocolate candle is yours! Drop me an e-mail (themomchef (at) mail.com) with your full name and address and I'll pass it along to the people at MyBlogSpark so they can mail you your Indulgent Escape package. Let me know if you have any questions! ~ Christiane

FortheLoveofFood said...

YUM! I love popovers and can't wait to try your recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...