Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer refreshment ~






SUMMER HAS BEEN EXTREMELY HOT THIS YEAR...




We are in a drought here in the Midwest. Day after day, it has been 100 degrees and more! The sky hasn't released any moisture in weeks!  We're doing whatever it takes to stay cool this year. Even the neighbor's over-sized golden retriever has a buzz cut for summer...looking more like a lab.


Finally, yesterday the heatwave broke and it was as if it was SPRINGTIME all over again!  People coming out of their air conditioned "hibernation";  kids riding their bikes again, mom's pushing strollers, families taking long walks with their four legged friends... 



I WANT TO CAPTURE EVERY MOMENT...




SITTING OUTSIDE UNDER THE CLEAR BLUE SKY...





ENJOYING SUNSETS OVER THE LAKE...






Listening to kids laugh as they splash in the water, reminding me of my own childhood summertime fun, causing me to reminisce about all the wonders of childhood summers...swimming pools, watermelon, the ice cream truck, and Orange Julius!  Do you remember Orange Julius? I haven't seen an Orange Julius store in years! 


As my craving intensified, I decided to make my own...and since I'm off of dairy right now, I used coconut milk and came up with a pretty close likeness to those frothy citrus shakes! 


PUT AN ORANGE

IN THE COCONUT

AND BLEND IT ALL UP!  ;)
  


I wasn't precise with this recipe because I made it up as I went along...
(had fun tasting my way to the finish)
  • squeezed two fresh oranges into my blender, 
  •  added about a cup of ice, 
  • 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk


*(I make my own coconut milk to drink, by opening a can of pure organic 100% coconut milk and placing it into a tall plastic container, adding enough water to make it the consistency of cream or whole milk and shaking very well)*                                  

(I refrigerate whatever is left and use it as cream in my morning coffee)

(the reason I do this, is because many of the pre-packaged coconut milks have additives that I don't want.  This is pure and it's also more creamy)

o.k. back to the "julius" ...


  • then I added one to two tsp. coconut sugar               
(more or less as you desire)     
                       


  • and about 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • and blended really well


Yes, it's summer ~~ my time of year!



I hope you are enjoying summer...

 with your frothy drink...


relaxing 


 under your clear blue sky!


  





14 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful post. I love all the outdoor pictures you've taken, simply beautiful.

I haven't been to a Orange Julius store for years too. What a nice twist to the traditional drink you have here. I think the additional coconut flavor is a nice compliment with the orange. :) Enjoy the rest of your summer, my friend.

Deborah Ann said...

You rock, Lorraine! I'm getting my groove on here with the gorgeous pictures and the swanky music. Now pass me some of that frothy orange stuff... ;)

Unknown said...

My clear blue sky. Hmmmm. It's been raining for 5 days straight, pretty much. I've never in my life had an Orange Julius. can you believe that? I'm wondering what I've missed in my sheltered life. It looks delicious. Thanks, too, for sharing how you make your own coconut milk!

Gina said...

You poor things, I was talking to another friend who said they had 45 days of over 90 weather. We had a mini heat wave, but nothing that severe. I'm sure this drink did it's magic on cooling you off. Love that cute glass. I switched to almond milk awhile back, because milk wasn't agreeing with me and I love it, you can even bake with it. I bet your orange drink tasted great with the coconut. Sending cool thoughts your way. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
-Gina-

Brenda Lazzaro Yoder, said...

Oh, this made my mouth water for an OJ - I love those! I noticed our local dairy queen was selling some. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for the refreshment!

mangiabella said...

we have an orange julius here!!! it's been a LOOOONG time since I've had one, thanks to you I now have a craving for one haha!! this recipe is great, and I LOVE the glass ;) the music has me swayin' back and forth, we LOVE War! We had some record breaking heat over here too (and I have the electric bill to prove it *gasp* running my air conditioning). what I would give to sit on your porch and sip one of these RIGHT NOW xoxo

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your lake photos are spectacular...looks like the perfect respite for this summer heat. I hope you finally got some rain...we got a quick downpour yesterday, but it looks like northern Indiana is getting a good soaking today. Hope it drifts south! And I'm ready to whip up an Orange Julius myself...mmmmmmm. xo

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

It's been very hot everywhere, almost unbearable to be outside. I was glad for our mountain get-away last week where temps were cooler and the breezes more frequent. I'm ready for fall!

Good to hear from you. Blessings as you move into this new week.

~elaine

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hello, I stumbled on your blog, first-rate blog photos with colour and depth.

Have a good week.

Russ, BC, Canada

DaniGarcia said...

Love the blog and the recipe... I live in Dallas and we actually have an Orange Julius here in one of our malls. I am definently going to try your reipe though..

Anonymous said...

I live in the midwest, too, and it has been tremendously hot. Your recipe sounds very refreshing! We'll have to try it. Thanks. wb

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

lovely photos

you've put me in the mood for an iced coffee.....

Katherines Corner said...

Great post and please pour me one too. It's been sooooo hot here too xo

Deborah said...

Lorraine Im sure its probably cooled down now, but hasnt summer been great?!
We have 2 orange julius's here! :)
And I love the banana-rilla best!
We have them at our Dairy Queens.
Oh my I've had a few this summer and talk about dee-lish!
Maybe tonight after supper, we'll take a drive and get one :)
Love that you have a great recipe for it! Sounds yummy!
Bless you dear sweet friend xoxo

Deborah xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...